The Statistics are Eye Opening!
Here are the top ten eye opening statistics:
- Vision loss is considered to have the highest impact on the quality of life as opposed to high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Loss of vision is feared more than loss of taste, hearing, a limb or even 10 years of their life.
- Every 7 minutes, someone in the US become blind or visually impaired.
- More than 38 million people in the US over the age of 40 experience vision loss, with macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and cataracts being most common.
- Almost a quarter of people in the US age 80 and older are visually impaired they are also the fastest growing segment of the population.
- Vision loss is the leading cause of falls in the older US population.
- Vision loss is directly related to depression.
- The annual cost associated with eye disease and vision loss in the US is approximately $68 billion.
- Those with visual impairment have more than $1,000/year in additional medical costs.
- Those with blindness have more than $2,000/year in additional medical costs.