Fondue is the French word for “melt.” and this month we are making a decadent melted mix of chocolate and coconut cream, into which we will be dipping a number of luscious fruits. For eye health we use dark chocolate, also called bittersweet, for its antioxidant benefits and flavanoids which help to protect the eye as you age. To derive maximum benefit, choose brands where the cacao extract percentage is at least 70%. Milk products are known to deplete the benefits of dark chocolate by decreasing the absorption of the antioxidants, so this recipe uses coconut cream. The coconut flavor is very mild so try it even if you are not a fan.
- 1 cup canned, sweetened cream of coconut
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- Your choice assorted fresh fruit: banana chunks, strawberries, 1-inch chunks pineapple
- Dried fruit such as apricots
- More sinful dippers such as almond biscotti, pound cake cubes, meringue kisses, pretzels, frozen cheesecake bites...
In a heavy large saucepan, combine the sweetened cream of coconut and the chopped chocolate. Stir mixture over very low heat until chocolate is melted and your mixture is smooth.
Fondue can be prepared 8 hours ahead; you will cover and store at room temperature. When ready to serve, stir over low heat to rewarm .
Transfer mixture to fondue pot. Place over candle or canned heat burner.